Cruel comment launches stellar 34-year Naval career
Ian Shepherd MSM, 67, smiles broadly and tightly squeezes my hand as we meet outside the Norfolk and Suffolk Air Museum, in Flixton, Suffolk. He’s a warm and enthusiastic character who looks a decade younger.
We sit in the canteen, between a jet fighter and a missile
system, and begin to chat.
Ian, who lives with wife Shirley in the rural Suffolk village
of Redgrave, was born into the tiny village of Cuerdley, near Widnes in
Cheshire. “1955 was a great year” he quips. “The same year Lego was invented”.
His first 15 years were spent around the farm. The hard,
physical work shaped him into an athletic sports-loving youngster.
Seeking a new direction, he decided to join the Royal
Marines. “No-one in my family had ever been in the military. Through both world
wars, they were farmers and miners.”
Ignoring his father’s protests, Ian set off to the
recruiting office in Liverpool.
“I was first through the door” he says. The 6’2” Marine on
duty was just removing his wet cape. “He looked down at me and said ‘Hello
young man, what can I do for you?’ So I said: ‘I want to join the Marines’.”
The Marine looked down at the 5’5” teenager and said “What
as? A bloody mascot!”
Shocked, Ian walked out, leaving behind forever his dream of
being a Royal Marine.
By chance, or design, next door was the Royal Navy
recruiting office. “At the time, they were advertising the Gunnery branch and
had .303 rifles with bayonets in the window” he says. “I thought, ‘Well, I’ll
go and do that then!’.”
And so began a stellar, 34-year career.
Still under 16, Ian
returned home until he was old enough to join. He landed a job at the new Asda
store in Widnes until he was able to join the Navy, on 1st November
1971.
Sixteen weeks of
training later, it was time for Specialist Qualification. Ian had his heart set
on joining the Gunnery. “Our PO said there would be a badge on our bed telling us
where we’ll be going”. Returning to Mess, Ian was dismayed to find a
Torpedo/Anti-submarine badge. However, another trainee had a Gunnery badge and
wanted to become a Torpedo/Anti-Submarine Specialist. “So, we swapped.”
Unsurprisingly, it
wasn’t that simple. On arriving at their respective coaches, his name wasn’t on
the Gunnery list. The other trainee was in the same boat. “The POs in charge of
each group talked, got us together, looked at our badges, looked at each other
and said ‘Go and get on your bloody coaches!’.”
Ian was in The
Gunnery.
Now on his chosen
path, promotion came quickly. “I was a Corporal at 18, Petty Officer at 22 and
Chief Petty Officer at 26”. However, rules dictated that he couldn’t become a
Warrant Officer before the age of 32. It was a long wait, but things were
changing: lots of variety, new weaponry. Eventually promotion came.
Ian proposed aged
22 to Shirley, a WREN, just before a long tour of duty. “If you’re on the jetty
when I return, I’ll marry you.” Nine months later, she was there with her parents.
They married on the Silver Jubilee weekend in 1977. There was no honeymoon, as duty
called. However, the couple had opportunities to travel together, as Ian often
flew Shirley to meet him while stationed in exotic locations.
They now have a son
and a daughter, in their 30s. Travel took its toll on early family life. “I
missed first words, first steps, first day at school”. A flicker of sadness
passes across his face. “I returned from a trip and my young son wouldn’t
accept me for 4 days. I felt heartbroken.”
There were many
notable events in Ian’s career. Supporting the Americans during the Vietnam
War. Sailing to The Falklands war on his birthday. Driving Green Goddesses
during the 1977 Firemen’s Strike. The Gulf Wars. Appearing unexpectedly in New
Zealand’s version of “It’s a Knockout”.
Retiring at 50, Ian
became a teacher at Gosport College then was headhunted, spending five years
developing a training simulator for the new Type 45 Destroyer.
He now spends his
time on angling and archery, and volunteering at the museum. “It’s absolutely
wonderful here” he says. “Such a great bunch of boys and girls”. He smiles at
the description, as the staff range in age between about 60 and 85.
His bucket list? “I’d
love to do a British Lions tour, in the Antipodes.” He’s also “A bit of a
whizz” on the Boer Wars and would love to visit some of the battle sites.
Our tea finished,
Ian walks me back to the car park, joking along the way. He smiles broadly and shakes
my hand again, then crunches away across the gravel.
—ends—
© Copyright Jez
Donaldson. All rights reserved.
Comments
Post a Comment